Law Enforcement Risk Analyst, Threat Assessment & Security Consultant
Carter Larry is a Law Enforcement Risk Analyst and Threat Assessment & Security Consultant for Horton Safety Consultants, a Horton subsidiary which provides comprehensive safety consulting services to a growing number of industrial, construction, public entity and service operations.
Since 1991, Horton’s Safety Consultants team has offered clients a multitude of services designed to control exposure to risk at every level of operation.
Carter joined Horton in 2016, after serving 20 years with the Bolingbrook Police Department. At Horton, Carter will be a member of our Municipal Practice, drawing on his highly specialized skills as a former police officer and police spokesman. He leads a team of safety specialists who provide security/threat assessment consulting to a wide range of businesses, organizations, and municipal law enforcement agencies.
“My past positions have given me tremendous experience in assessing risk for various types of organizations, including corporations, hospitals, schools and manufacturers,” said Carter. “I have a great deal of experience working effectively and efficiently within a team environment.”
Carter believes communication is key in assessing his clients’ important safety issues.
“The best communication begins with listening,” said Carter. “My goal is to communicate effectively with clients, so I can fully understand and address their safety needs.”
Carter attended Judson University in Elgin, Illinois where he earned a Master of Business Administration, a Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership, and a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice Management. Carter holds a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate of Police Executive Administration from Western Illinois University. He is currently working towards a PhD in Organizational Leadership from the Chicago School of Professional Psychology.
Carter grew up on Chicago’s west side and currently lives in Naperville, Illinois with his two children. In his time away from work, Carter enjoys fishing, scuba diving and coaching his children’s sports teams. One of Carter’s most memorable experiences was coaching a nationally-ranked girls high school basketball team for 12 years, leading to 60 players receiving full athletic scholarships.
- PhD Candidate in Organizational Leadership, Chicago School of Professional Psychology (2016 – 2018), Chicago, IL
- Master in Business Administration degree, Judson University (2013 – 2015), Elgin, IL
- Master of Arts degree in Organizational Leadership, Judson University (2010 - 2012), Elgin, IL
- Diploma Award: School for Public Safety, Police Staff and Command, Northwestern University (2009), Evanston, IL
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate of Police Executive Administration, Western Illinois University, School of Graduate Studies (2003 - 2005), Macomb, IL
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice Management, Judson University (2001 - 2003), Elgin, IL
- Police Academy Graduate, College of DuPage, Suburban Law Enforcement Academy (1996), Glen Ellyn, IL
Bolingbrook Police Department:
- Lieutenant, Office of Professional Standards and Media Relations (2015 – 2016)
- Lieutenant, Patrol Supervisor (2008 – 2015)
- Code Enforcement Supervisor (2007 - 2008)
- Sergeant (2002 – 2008)
- School Liaison Officer (1999 – 2007)
- Patrol Officer (1996 – 1999)
United States Marines:
- Supervisor (1986 – 1990)
- George P. Graves Distinguished Award, Top Performer, DuPage County Chiefs of Police Association
- Supervisor of the Year, Bolingbrook Police Department, 2015
- Officer of the Year, Veterans of Foreign Wars, 2007
- Exchange Club Officer of the Year, 2006
- NAACP, guest speaker for national, state and local chapters
- Purdue University, seminar leader on students’ rights and responsibilities when interacting with law enforcement
- Bolingbrook’s Community Television Talk Show, guest speaker
- Bolingbrook/Romeoville Character Counts Coalition, certified trainer
- Helping-Enriching-Advising-Reaching-Teaching Organization (HEART), mentor for at-risk youth
- Toys for Tots, volunteer
- Valley View School District, volunteer gym teacher (grades 1 – 6)
- Bolingbrook High School, assistant coach for girls nationally-ranked varsity basketball team (2002 to 2014)