Director of Operations
To say that John Hamer has been involved in a variety of programs at The Horton Group is an understatement. John directs the Wisconsin Select division of Horton, which addresses the property and liability insurance needs of a variety of trade group and association program business clients. He provides guidance to sales executives within the agency, and has helped to lead programs for municipalities, fire departments, restaurants, hotels, auto repair shops and manufactured housing, to name just a few.
The Select division serves policyholders with complex risk management needs and limited internal resources. John's knowledge of the traditional insurance marketplace, alternative risk financing methods, and retail/wholesale distribution contribute to The Horton Group's reputation as a leader in niche marketing.
John joined The Horton Group during the company's 1998 acquisition of the Laub Group, a former Wisconsin-based independent insurance agency. Prior to joining the Laub operation in 1988, John spent 11 years with Maryland Casualty Company in the roles of Senior Property and Casualty Underwriter and Regional Accounting Manager.
Among his educational pursuits, John earned a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Marquette University and a Master of Business Administration degree from the Keller Graduate School of Management.
John is a member of the Wisconsin Chapter of the Public Risk Management Association (PRIMA) and the Wisconsin Alliance for Fire Safety. Married with four children, John resides in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Marquette University
- Masters in Business Administration Keller Graduate School of Management
- The Horton Group, Horton Select Insurance Division President, 2006 to 2013
- The Horton Group, Express Division President, 2002 to 2005
- The Horton Group, Vice President (The Laub Group), 1988 to 1998
- Maryland Casualty Company, Senior Property/Casualty Underwriter and Regional Accounting Manager, 1987-1998
- VFIS Regional Director Advisory Council
- Glatfelter Insurance Group Technology Advisory Council
- Travelers Select Accounts Agency Advisory Council
- Hanover Illinois/Wisconsin Agency Advisory Council
- Public Risk Management Association ֠WI Chapter
- Wisconsin Alliance for Fire Safety
- Wisconsin EMS Association
- Wisconsin Housing Alliance
- Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association
- Wisconsin Towns Association