Kevin Herman, MS, CADC
“Some of the most rewarding moments in my career have come from hearing that a person I worked with made a potentially life-saving health change,” said Kevin Herman, Director of Worksite Wellness for Horton Health Initiatives, a division of The Horton Group. Kevin's primary role is to help clients implement Best in Class wellness cultures to foster healthier, safer and more productive employees, while controlling both insurance costs and sustaining the benefits program.
Kevin has an extensive history of working in wellness and behavioral health-related programs. He has more than 13 years of experience working for Alexian Brothers Hospital Network, Gateway Foundation, Lake County Health Department and Allendale Association. His experience has allowed him to build strong employer-based programs and provide astute counseling to others, positively affecting thousands of lives in the process.
“Helping a client transition from a non-existent wellness program into a solid, effective program in a relatively short time period is the most rewarding part of my job,” said Kevin. “Our clients' organizations have diverse needs and challenges. The variety allows me to find and meet issues in different ways for all groups.”
Kevin feels that Horton separates itself from the competition by delivering sophisticated wellness solutions to middle-market groups. Not only does he assist clients with the implementation of wellness programs, but he plays an integral role in The Horton Group's own wellness initiative. Horton's wellness program includes annual employee health screenings, semi-annual health and benefit fairs, the Virgin HealthMiles pedometer program, monthly wellness topics, contests and educational workshops. “Horton has nearly 400 employees, and I honestly think we have one of the best wellness programs for a group of our size.” The Horton Group proved this point when it first received the Wellness Council of America (WELCOA) ‘Well Workplace Gold Award' in 2009, an award for the top employers dedicated to results-oriented wellness programs.
Kevin resides in Bartlett, Illinois with his wife, Elizabeth, who works in the healthcare field, and his two sons, David and Alex. He shared, “I think it is extremely important to practice what you preach.” Kevin is a competitive mountain bike racer, earning the title of Sport Class State Champion for Wisconsin in 2005 and 2006 Sport Class champion for his age in Illinois. Kevin has also mountain biked extensively throughout the United States.
- Master of Science, DePaul University, 2006, Public Service Administration–Health Care Administration Concentration
- Bachelor of Science, Illinois State University, 1994, Sociology, Minors in Psychology and Cinema Studies
- Life and Health License
- IAODAPCA Certified Addictive
- Drug Counselor
- Crisis Prevention Institute Certified
- Crisis Intervention Trainer
- Illinois Department of Public Health, Certified Disease Intervention Specialist
- DASA Qualified HIV Early Intervention Counselor
- The Horton Group, Vice President, Wellness Advisory Solutions, 2005 to present
- Alexian Brothers Hospital Network Director of Partners in Prevention Program, 2007-2008; Manager of Community Health Promotion, 2006
- Gateway Foundation Program Supervisor, 2001-2006
- Lake County Health Department Counselor IV and Health Educator, 1998-2001; Counselor II and Health Educator, 1997-1998
- Allendale Association Team leader, 1996-1997; Mental Health Specialist, 1995-1996
- Chestnut Health, Systems Master Trainer since 2002
- Campanelli YMCA, Schaumburg, Illinois Board member, Program Committee member
Read More From Customers
Kevin and his team at the Horton Group have not only been excellent resources, but true partners in helping us achieve all our wellness goals! They have supported and acknowledge our efforts. The proof is in our results, as shown by our current return on investment of almost 10:1.
Russ Prekwas, Chairman and CEO
Kevin has been a great resource for us. While we are still in the beginning stages of our wellness program, we have already seen significant results. The Horton Group helped us create a systematic program that has purpose, so employees see that the organization values wellness and is investing in their well-being. Most importantly, the plan is employee-driven, so workers feel like they are part of the process and this is driving unprecedented participation rates.
Stephanie Pryzbylski, Human Resources Director
Village of Orland Park