Senior Vice President
Some people saw the film Jaws and never put more than an ankle in the ocean again. Mike Gleason went to Stewarts Cove in the Bahamas, chummed the water to attract a swarm of 12-foot reef sharks and then hopped overboard. Add his more than 300 career ocean dives to skydiving and bungee jumping and you can safely conclude that Mike is a risk taker. He is also an expert risk management professional for The Horton Group specializing in the food production industry, international insurance and group captives.
For nearly 30 years, Mike has worked tirelessly to build strong client relationships. He feels the difference between The Horton Group and publicly-traded insurance brokers is the delivery of value-added services, such as loss control, claims advocacy and legal assistance.
"These resources are not cheap to invest in or maintain, but they are what keeps Horton clients satisfied and separates us from the competition," Mike explained. "Whether it be safety or claims assistance, our people are among the best in the business and clients come to appreciate the access to these great resources."
Mike has taken a leading role in The Horton Group's international efforts, including the company's valuable partnership with Euribron & Assurex - international networks of insurance agencies.
"I provide risk management assistance for McDonald's bakery facilities throughout Europe and other countries across the globe. If McDonald's wanted to open a baking facility in Istanbul, Euribron puts me in touch with a reputable broker who is licensed to write policies in Turkey. If a Euribron partner in Denmark needed assistance with a claim filed at a client facility in America, Horton would help them. It's a proven network of top-tier independent brokers," Mike said.
Whether assessing the risks management needs of a bakery in Chicago or his own oxygen level needs 100 feet underwater, Mike keeps a level head and does the job right.
- B.S. in Business, Northern Illinois University
- Licensed Property & Casualty Producer
- Licensed Life & Health Producer
- The Horton Group, Senior Vice President since 2003
- Connor & Gallagher, Vice President, 2001-2003
- American E&S, Senior Vice President and Regional Manager, 2000-2001
- Arthur Gallagher & Co., Vice President, 1987-2000
- Wausau Insurance, Company Account Representative, 1977-1987
- New Business Development Top Producer Award for The Horton Group, 2005
- Illinois Manufacturers’ Association
- Greater O’Hare Association
- Illinois Landscape Contractors Association
- Independent Grocers Association
- Illinois City / County Management Association
- Illinois Municipal League
- Chubb Group Advisory Committee for D&O, EPLI, Fiduciary Coverage
- Euribron and Assurex International Associates, Member
- Food Processing & Distribution
- Steel & Related Metal Mills
- Light & Heavy Manufacturing
- Plastics Property Management
- Hospitality International
- Risks Self-Insurance & Captives
Read More From Customers
Thanks for being so prompt with the loss runs last week Mike. When I have a question or need something, you’re always right there to help. Requests for certificates of insurance take only an hour or so with Horton – our last broker took 2 days! The Horton Group really knows how to treat a client. I want to thank you & your team for being so responsive & helping with everything we ask.
Tom Kelly, Safety Manager
Total Staffing Solutions
We asked our retailers for details regarding their existing insurance policies, and if they would be interested in a program developed by the IGA. It was immediately apparent that many IGA retailers had a need for enhanced coverage. Moreover, our retailers recognized there could be a significant advantage for them if a sufficient number joined together in a systemwide program.
We turned to Mike Gleason of The Horton Group. Mike had recently worked with me to make some modifications to IGA’s insurance that resulted in better coverage at reduced costs. Obviously I was confident in his abilities and, as I expected, he did a tremendous amount of work to find the right carrier for us.
Bob Grottke, Chief Financial Officer
Independent Grocers Association