Steve Mannos, CIC
“While enrolled in a food sanitation class many years ago, everyone in the room talked about which restaurant or hospitality-related company they worked for,” Steve said. “When asked about my affiliation, I responded, ‘I'm an insurance agent and I am looking to learn more about your business'.”
Steve has been satisfying the palates of restaurant, bar, nightclub and hotel owners for more than 30 years. He believes he has come up with the right list of ingredients to help restaurant and hospitality-type establishments that have complex needs, but limited resources create safer workplaces, control costs and improve employee productivity.
“The most challenging aspect of offering protection to my clients is deepening their education about effective risk management. Although insurance policies are comprehensive sources of protection, they have limits, especially where nightclub and bar owners are concerned,” said Steve, who was a third-generation grocer and is currently a restaurant owner. “As a result, I work hard to educate and help our clients implement basic safety fundamentals to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits.”
“I understand that each of our restaurant clients has a personality of its own. I make it my business to know the restaurant industry and the personality behind each establishment. I participate in industry groups to constantly improve my understanding of the retail business,” said Steve. “Today's restaurant environment is more complex than ever, and I want my clients to understand their coverages in the event of an unexpected incident.”
Steve's expertise is not just the result of familiarity and knowledge of the industry. Rather, he brings life-long experiences, education, training and commitment to an industry inherent to him. After all, he says, “At the age of 12, my dad had me bagging orders in his grocery store and unloading those 100-pound potato sacks.”
Steve and his wife currently reside in Chicago's South Loop where they can be spotted walking the city's lakeshore in their spare time. Steve's hobbies include cooking, reading historical biographies, attending sporting events and traveling to his ancestor's native homeland in Greece.
- B.A. in History, Loyola University Chicago, IL
- Property & Casualty
- Life & Health
- Certified Insurance Counselor
- Certified in Food Sanitation with the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois
- The Horton Group Vice President since 1996
- SMF Insurance Agency President and Co-Founder, 1980-1996
- Pennsylvania Life Insurance Company Regional Manager, 1978-1980
- The Exchequer Restaurant and Pub Silent Partner since 1982
- Hi-Neighbor Foods Owner and Store Manager, 1971-1978
- Certified Insurance Counselors of America Member since 1989
- Illinois Restaurant Association Member since 1988
- A Silver Lining Foundation Board of Directors Member since 2004
- Dearborn Tower Condominium Association Board of Director and Finance Committee Member since 2002
- Founder of The Mary Moore Culinary Scholarship Fund at Robert Morris College, 2006
- Advisory Board Member for CNA Insurance Company
Read More From Customers
We offer our patrons the best in food, beverage and service, and we expect the same from all of our vendors and business advisors. Steve Mannos and The Horton Group have more than lived up to our high expectations by cutting costs and offering us a comprehensive program.
Bob Rhodes, CFO
Pazzo’s Cucina Italiana
We have steadily grown our business for the last 10 years. Steve and The Horton Group have guided us with their safety consultants, and continue to advise us on how to expand our coverage at very competitive prices.
Michael Farrell, President
Egg Harbor Cafes
Steve Mannos and The Horton Group do much more than other insurance brokers did in the past. They have a great loss-prevention program and they follow-up on claims to ensure that proper payments have been made. We have never received this type of superior service before.
Nancy Sharp, President and CEO
Food For Thought Enterprises