The operator of emergency vehicles in today’s society carries a heavy responsibility. The penalty for not adequately training your operators also carries legal consequences. Emergency vehicle operators and the entities they represent have been held both criminally and civilly responsible for their actions. This program was developed to teach emergency vehicle operators (EVO) proper driving techniques. This workshop points out the long-term impact of an accident involving an emergency vehicle on the operator, the emergency service organization and the community in which they serve.
Topics to be discussed at this workshop include:
- Identify the problems in emergency vehicle operations Motivating the emergency vehicle operator to perform professionally
- Legal aspects of emergency vehicle operations Physical forces acting upon the vehicle
- Performing vehicle inspection and maintenance Legal and regulatory requirements of SOGs Emergency vehicle ‘Safe Operation Practices’
- The emergency vehicle operations ‘hands-on’ driving course Participants are provided with the knowledge and tools to deliver these programs to other students.
An Instructor Guide, along with a PowerPoint CD program and a Participant Manual are included. Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Effectively deliver this program to other EVOs, prepare schedules, deliver content and supervise
- Evaluate “hands-on” practice, and determine the effectiveness of the EVDT
- Gain a new appreciation of the responsibilities of the EVO Effectively describe the civil, criminal and punitive aspects of emergency vehicle operation
- Demonstrate knowledge of and convey to students their state’s emergency vehicle statute
- Describe the physical laws and operational characteristics of a moving emergency vehicle
- Describe the personal, ethical and professional responsibilities as an EVO
Material posted on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal opinion or medical advice. Contact your legal representative or medical professional for information specific to your legal or medical needs.