Flooding has the potential to cause severe damage to your home; according to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), the average flood insurance claim is nearly $42,000. Additionally, it can be difficult and dangerous to clean up flood damage.
Use these precautionary measures to help prevent water from getting into places it isn’t wanted:
- Have your roof carefully inspected at least once a year to ensure that there aren’t any holes that could allow water to leak into your home.
- Clean your gutters and the drainage downspouts attached to them at least twice a year.
- Ensure that your downspouts are at least 10 feet away from your home, and that they are clear of any obstructions that could prevent drainage.
- Make sure that the ground within 10 feet of your home slopes away from your home’s foundation.
- Consider installing a sump pump in your home to pump excess water out of your home before it can accumulate. If you own a sump pump, check it regularly to make sure it’s in working order.
Recent changes to the NFIP may impact your local flood map and insurance policies. For more information on the changes, contact us at (800) 981-4700 today.
© 2016 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.
Material posted on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal opinion or medical advice. Contact your legal representative or medical professional for information specific to your legal or medical needs.