Effective January 1, 2020, the State of Wisconsin will require all flaggers working on Wisconsin state highways to be trained and certified in a Wisconsin specific flagger training curriculum. Observations of work zones by the state identified the need for improved training.
Unsafe practices identified during these observations include:
- Flagger’s sitting in or leaning on vehicles without an escape route
- Flagger’s not holding paddles, rather using drums or cones to hold paddles
- Inattentive flagger (cell phone use, talking, etc.)
- Improper flagger personal protective equipment
- Flagger’s back to traffic
To provide for the safety of flaggers and the traveling public, Wisconsin now requires the training and certification of all flaggers working on state highways. Specific requirements are identified in the recently updated Wisconsin Flagging Handbook. (https://wisconsindot.gov/dtsdManuals/traffic-ops/manuals-and-standards/flagger.pdf)
Designated flaggers will need to show proof of certification if asked by Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) or other state inspectors. Failure to produce certification documentation may result in the shutdown of the operation until a certified flagger takes over flagging duties.
Details regarding the Wisconsin flagger training certification process include:
- 4 hours required classroom training
- 8 hours of field/on the job training
- 2 hours of refresher training every two years
- Students must take and pass a 10 question test
- Students must demonstrate flagging skill competency
WisDOT will recognize training curriculums that meet these requirements and the instructions contained in their newly published handbook.
Horton Safety Consultants is prepared to deliver this important training to your organization’s employees. Qualified safety consultants can provide training at your location or at one of several courses scheduled at our Waukesha training facility.
Wisconsin Flagger Training
This program is currently in-development. If you would like to be notified when courses are open, please complete the form below.
Material posted on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal opinion or medical advice. Contact your legal representative or medical professional for information specific to your legal or medical needs.