In August 2017, the Wisconsin State Legislature made changes to the Municipal treasurer’s bond statute 70.67. For the 2020-2021 tax season, one of the following methods must be used to guarantee payment of State and County taxes to the County Treasurer:
- A Surety Bond
- The Municipality assumes all responsibility by ordinance
We are pleased to make Surety Bonds available to you from Liberty Mutual Surety. They have a rating of “A” (Excellent) from A.M. Best Company, an independent analyst of the financial condition of insurance carriers. We believe it is important to offer you the services of a stable and secure company. We encourage you to investigate the financial condition of any insurance carrier or surety that solicits your bond business.
Here is the link to our short-term tax collector bond application: Application for Tax Collector Bond
Please print and follow these steps to obtain this coverage:
- Select a Bond Limit in accordance with statute 70.67. The amount of the bond must be no less than the amount of state and county taxes apportioned to the town, village, or city.
- The rate for the bond premium is $.1976 per thousand of limit, with a minimum premium of $100.00. (For simplicity, we suggest the coverage limit be rounded up to the nearest thousand and the premium amount be rounded to the nearest dollar.)
- The standard term of this tax collector bond will be December 1st through March 1st. If your municipality has additional collection or disbursement activity beyond March 1st or requires a longer-term, this can be adjusted, and a different bond rate will apply. Identify your required term on the application.
- The treasurer’s name should be used on the application as “Name of Applicant.” Please be sure to show the name of your town, village, or city on the application.
- Provide the address on the application where the bond needs to be mailed.
- The treasurer and a witness should sign on the designated lines.
- Make your check payable to “The Horton Group”
- Mail the completed application and your check to:
The Horton Group, Inc.Department #10167
P.O. Box 87618
Chicago, IL 60680-0618
Please feel free to call Julie Meyer at 262.347.2678 or email her at email@example.com with any questions.
Material posted on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal opinion or medical advice. Contact your legal representative or medical professional for information specific to your legal or medical needs.