Dan Horton serves as Vice President of Horton's Risk Advisory Solutions and Construction Practice Leader at The Horton Group, one of the largest brokers in the Greater Chicago metro area. Dan brings with him over 10 years insurance experience and a proven track record on delivering insurance solutions and alternative financing options that drive high-quality returns for a clients bottom line.
In his role as Vice President of Risk Advisory Solutions, Dan is responsible for delivering to clients a risk management strategy that aligns with their organizational goals, uncovers opportunity and offers a plan to mitigate long-term risk and spend. Dan plays a key role within the organization as a Practice Leader overseeing a team of employees dedicated to serving construction clients. He also works closely with senior management to craft long-term, strategic initiatives that are aligned with the growth goals of the organization.
Dan believes that business owners should consider insurance and risk management as an asset and the investment as critical as any other in their portfolio. Many business owners are unaware how the broader economic trends can impact the success of their risk management plan. Some CEOs of mid-sized businesses find themselves facing challenges that are similar to those of Fortune 1000 firms, but often without the experience or resources to properly address them.
“Too often, as a business's operations increase in complexity, a substantial loss at one location or a change in legislation can have a devastating impact on the entire organization,” said Dan. “My team evaluates the risks of our clients on both a macro and micro level. We leverage our insurance insight and knowledge of broad economic trends to deliver a plan that will allow for growth and long-term sustainability.”
In addition to his expertise in the construction industry, Dan has significant experience working with international organizations and regularly speaks to business and community groups on competing in a global marketplace.
Prior to joining Horton, Dan had a successful aviation career, working as a Pilot and First Officer for Midwest Connect Airlines from 2004 to 2005 and Flight Instructor and Director of Operations for Brett Aviation from 2003 to 2004.
Dan is a licensed commercial pilot and holds a Bachelors of Science in Professional Flight Technology from Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN in addition to a Master's in Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin-Madison's School of Business. He is a licensed Property & Casualty Producer also accredited with Certificate of General Insurance (CIG), Construction Risk Insurance Specialist, Associate of Risk Management designations and is currently pursuing his Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation.
In his spare time, Dan enjoys spending time with his family, fishing, scuba diving, hockey and golf.
- Bachelors of Science Professional Flight Technology, Purdue University
- Masters in Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Certificate of General Insurance
- Construction Risk Insurance Specialist
- Associate of Risk Management
- Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriter (currently pursuing)
- The Horton Group, Vice President, 2013 to present
- The Horton Group, Sales Executive, 2005 to 2013
- Midwest Connect Airlines, Pilot (First Officer), 2004-2005
- Brett Aviation, Flight Instructor and Director of Operations, 2003-2004
- Midwest-U.S.?China Association
- U.S.-China Chamber of Commerce
- Wisconsin World Trade Center
- Executives Club of Chicago
- Chartis Producer Council
- AssurexΠResearch and Development Committee, International Representative
- Guest speaker at law firm of Baker & McKenzie for conference on Chinese-Related Arbitration and Litigation
- Guest Speaker for Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren s.c. on India & Czech Republic Insurance Marketplace
- Guest Speaker for Holland & Knight on "Doing Business in China - Risk Management and Insurance"
- Guest Speaker for World Trade Center of Wisconsin "Entering the Global Marketplace"
- Guest Speaker for Illinois Procurement Institute "Global Supply Chain Risk Management"
Read More From Customers
Dan understands the emerging global marketplace and how to assist clients in addressing international risks. His organization and communication skills along with his expertise in worldwide enterprise risk management are invaluable to clients who are competing globally.
Gary Les, Director of International Services
Virchow, Krause & Company
With a significant amount of production taking place outside of the U.S., those facilities become extremely important to protect. Dan and the team of professionals at The Horton Group were able to clearly explain the structure of a global insurance program and ensure our operations abroad are properly addressed, which is important to our entire organization.
Brenda Kardys, Controller
Bulk Lift International, Inc.