No one ever plans to have their car break down, but you can plan ahead to deal with it safely.
Read on to learn about some helpful hints to help you remain safe and injury-free should you get stuck on the road. If your car breaks down, your safety should be your primary concern.
Consider these safety tips:
- Move your vehicle to a safe area before getting out to check on damage or to make a repair. If you were involved in an accident, signal to the other driver to pull off to a safe spot too.
- If your vehicle will not move and is not drivable, stay in your vehicle and call for help on your cell phone.
- Always put on your hazard lights when you pull off to the side of the road on a major roadway or if you are unable to move your car.
- Carry flares or triangles in your car to mark your location in the event that you have a breakdown. This will give other drivers some advanced warning.
- If you get a flat tire or a blowout, move your car to a safe place before attempting to repair it. Though this may destroy your wheel, it could save your life because you will be out of harm’s way.
Getting a flat tire is not uncommon and many people do not know how to repair a tire themselves. If that describes you, consider asking a friend or family member to show you how. This will save you the aggravation of having to wait for a tow truck to assist you or of learning on the fly.
© 2016 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.
Material posted on this website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal opinion or medical advice. Contact your legal representative or medical professional for information specific to your legal or medical needs.