- Protect Your Business
- Business Insurance Products
- Risk Advisory Solutions
- Risk Control & Transfer
- Claims Advocacy
- Safety Consulting
- Predictive Safety Analytics
- Safety Observations & Safety Audits
- OSHA Compliance Assistance
- Schedule a Pre-Employment Test
- SB 75 | Illinois Sexual Harassment Training Services
- Workplace COVID-19 Consulting Services
- Safety Program and Risk Assessments
- Cost Reduction Services
- Safety Training Services
- Safety Program Development
- Industrial Hygiene Services
- Industry Leading Safety Solutions
- Transportation Safety Programs
- Pre-Employment Strength Testing
- Surety Bond Services
- Captives & Alternatives Risk
- Certificate Control & Process
- Directors & Officers Insurance – Management Liability Insurance
- Contact Business Advisor Team
- Construction Insurance
- Real Estate Development Insurance
- Lawyers & Legal Professionals
- Manufacturing & Distribution Insurance
- Food Processing & Manufacturing Insurance
- Pet Food Manufacturing Insurance
- Beverage Manufacturing Business Insurance
- Bakery Manufacturing Insurance
- Tortilla Manufacturing Insurance
- Grain and Oilseed Manufacturing Insurance
- Sugar Manufacturing Insurance
- Meat Manufacturing Insurance
- Chemical Manufacturing Insurance
- Metal Manufacturing Insurance
- Food Manufacturing Insurance
- Plastic Goods Manufacturing Insurance
- Moving & Storage
- NonProfit Insurance – Insurance For 501(C)
- Public Sector Insurance
- Welding Supply & Gas Dist.
- Resale, Consignment & Thrift Shop Insurance
- Restaurant Insurance
- Bar Insurance
- Trucking Insurance
- Covering Your Craftsmanship: Coverage Options for Wood Product Businesses
- Protect Your People
- Employee Benefits Insurance
- Employee Benefits Strategies
- Strategic Benefits Planning
- Benefits administration technology
- Pharmacy Benefits Management
- Employee Benefits Compliance
- Employee Benefits Analytics
- Claims Administration
- Employee Retirement Plans
- Wellness Consulting
- Group Purchasing
- Alternative Funding
- Multiemployer Consulting Solutions
- Protect Your Family
- Individual Health Protection
- Personal Liability Protection
- Private Client Solutions
- Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Insurance
- Insuring Domestic Workers
- Using Life Insurance to Fund Buy-Sell Agreements
- Collection Insurance Coverage
Dan Burkwald is an Executive Vice President of Sales for Horton’s Employee Benefits Solutions. He is responsible for expanding Horton’s consulting capabilities beyond population health and creating opportunities in the talent acquisition and compensation consulting fields. He also helps recruit future sales/customer service team members and maintains strong relationships with our vendors.
Dan has more than 40 years of experience in relationship development, lead generation, mentoring and vendor negotiation. Before joining Horton, he was the president and owner of his own company, Burkwald & Associates, which was acquired by Gallagher in 2015. After the acquisition, Dan played a key role in helping Gallagher produce a 67% annual growth rate, create over 25 new jobs and win “Branch of the Year” in 2021.
Out of all the skills he has learned throughout the years, Dan prides himself on his relationship-building skills. An example of this was when he worked with a school district to save them $6 million and negotiated with multiple union leaders to effect positive change.
“These types of relationships are not sold through a vending machine,” Dan said. “They are complex and require hard work, expertise and emotional intelligence to maintain. But the effort is worth it when you can satisfy your customers and add value for employees with better costs and benefits.”
Dan earned his B.S. from the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse. He also received his Chartered Life Underwriter/Chartered Financial Consultant designations from the American College of Financial Services. He currently resides on North Lake in Stone Bank, Wisconsin, with his wife, Kim.
In addition to working at Horton, he is pleased to own businesses with his two children, JP and Lizzy. His youngest son Harrison is a rising senior at Iowa State University (go Cyclones!). When he is not in the office, you can typically find him headed to a new golf destination, skiing, fishing, hunting or wake surfing.
- University of Wisconsin – Lacrosse (LaCrosse, WI): Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- American College of Financial Services (King of Prussia, PA): Chartered Life Underwriter/Chartered Financial Consultant
- The Horton Group
Executive Vice President of Sales (August 2022 – Present)
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
Area Executive Vice President (October 2015 – August 2022)
- Burkwald & Associates
President/Owner (June 1978 – October 2015)
Industry & Community Involvement
- Donated time and money to an inner city church to create a “Wheels to Success” program, providing cars to deserving community members who need a more effective way to get to work.
- Member of the American College, International Foundation of Employee Benefits, Wisconsin Association of Health Underwriters, National Association of Health Underwriters, Greater Milwaukee Employee Benefits Council and the Milwaukee Chapter of the Society of Financial Service Professionals.
- Previously served on the Board of Directors for the Wisconsin Association of Health Underwriters, Southeast Chapter.
- Past Board Chairman of the Medical Council of Wisconsin’s Digestive Disease Center for more than 10 years, raising millions of dollars for research.
- Served as commissioner of North Lake Management District and Tall Pines Land Conservatory for 10 years, helping protect the environment.
Psychological Aspects of Safety Consulting: Promoting Employee Engagement and Behavior Change
In the safety consulting field, ensuring employee engagement and promoting behavior change is essential for creating a safe and healthy work environment. While implementing safety…
Lowenstein Sandler: Are Buyers Still Getting Paid? The Evolution of R&W Insurance Claims
One of the most common questions we receive is whether Reps & Warranties Insurance policies actually pay claims. Our friends at Lowenstein Sandler’s Insurance Recovery…